Griggs County, North Dakota, was first settled in 1879. However, it did not become
an organized county until 1881. At that time, it consisted of what is now Griggs
County and the western part of Steele County. After an election, Cooperstown became
the county seat. However, Hope wanted to have that honor so the records of the county
were stolen at gunpoint from Cooperstown. The trial of the alleged raiders was halted
when a compromise was reached establishing Griggs and Steele Counties as separate
entities. The County Courthouse was built in 1883 and is the oldest courthouse in
the state still in use for its original purpose.
Griggs County consists of 708.5 square miles and the estimated 2008 population was
2,359. There are three incorporated cities – Binford, Cooperstown, and Hannaford
– in the County and twenty townships. The County is governed by ten elected officials:
5 part-time Commissioners, an Auditor, a Treasurer, a State’s Attorney, a Recorder/Clerk
of Court, and a Sheriff. Daily operations are managed by 9 full-time Department Heads
and 42 employees.
Services provided by the County include: law enforcement, highway construction &
maintenance, property valuation, planning/zoning, emergency management, social services,
official recording of deeds and documents, election administration, property tax
collection and administration.